Your Application Process
Your application process will depend on when you apply(ied) and the jurisdiction where you were most recently licensed to practice.
- If you are currently registered in another Canadian jurisdiction as an LPN, please see here.
- If you are an internationally educated nurse (IEN) who applied for a Credential Assessment with the CLPNM prior to August 12, 2014, please see here.
- If you are an IEN who applied after August 12, 2014, or are considering applying, please see below.
Before opening a file with the NNAS, please make sure that you meet the following eligibility requirements in order to open a credential assessment application with the CLPNM:
- Be a legal resident of Manitoba and be allowed to work and to be educated in Manitoba;
- Be able to provide evidence of having practiced as a nurse within the previous eight years;
- If you have never practiced as a nurse, you must provide evidence of graduating from an entry level nursing program four years ago or less;
- Be able to provide evidence of having achieved the required language proficiency test scores from one of the English or French Board-approved language proficiency tests. For more information about language requirements please see here.
New Application Process for IENs
Starting August 12, 2014, IENs who want to work as licensed practical nurses (LPNs) in Canada are required to use a new online, streamlined application process. Applicants must send their documents and credentials to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS). For information on the NNAS application process, please see the NNAS website.
The CLPNM also offers a comprehensive Credential Assessment Application Guide for IENs who have applied through the NNAS. If you have questions not answered in the Guide, please contact the CLPNM for information by email or by phone at 204-663-1212 or 1-877-663-1212 toll free.
CLPNM Application Forms
Once the NNAS has issued an advisory report and you are ready to apply to the CLPNM, please use the forms below. Forms received that do not match those currently available on this site will not be accepted. These forms were last updated December 1, 2016.
- Application Form: complete this form to open a file and begin applying for a credential assessment. Please ensure you read all of the instructions on the form very carefully.
- Disclosure Form: please include your criminal record check with a vulnerable sector search, your child abuse registry check and your adult abuse registry check. Please be aware that, in order to be accepted by the CLPNM, these documents must have been issued within six (6) months of the date they are provided to the CLPNM. For more information please see here.
- Language Proficiency Form: please read this form carefully and follow its directions. Note: if your first language is not English or French, you must provide board-approved language proficiency test scores in order to open a file with the CLPNM.
- Non-Nursing Employment Information Form: please have your current employer (and any other employers you have had in the last 4 years) complete this form and mail it directly to the CLPNM.
- Once the CLPNM has received your NNAS Advisory Report, you have one (1) year in which to open AND to complete your credential assessment application file.
- As per CLPNM policy, if you graduated from an entry-level nursing program, you must provide evidence of having practiced as a nurse within the previous eight (8) years in order to be eligible for a credential assessment. If you have never practiced as a nurse, in order to be eligible for a credential assessment, you must provide evidence of graduating from an entry level nursing program four years ago or less.
- In order to open your CLPNM Credential Assessment Application, you must hold permanent residence status in Canada
- The CLPNM reserves the right to request that any applicant/registrant undergo language proficiency testing. This is the case even if the NNAS does not require that you submit a language test. For more information please see here.
- The CLPNM’s official registration decision will be communicated in writing and no verbal representations or warranties by any staff will be binding on CLPNM, or relevant to the assessment process by CLPNM or to any subsequent appeal made to the Board of CLPNM.
If you have any questions or require further information, please contact the College by email or by phone at 204-663-1212 or 1-877-663-1212 toll free.
Useful Links for IENs
- IELTS Testing Centres
- CELBAN Testing Centres
- Manitoba Start
- The ENTRY Program
- Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC)
- Canadian Culture and Communication for Nurses (CCCN)
- Communication for Internationally-Educated Health Professionals (CIEHP)
- Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Health Careers in Manitoba
- Canadian Immigrant Integration Program
- College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba
- College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba
- Manitoba Alliance of Health Regulatory Colleges