- If the CLPNM has advised you that you are eligible to write the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam (CPNRE) during the June 8 to July 5, 2020 window, please see an important notice about the exam, available here. Action is required of you by June 3, 2020.
- If your post-secondary institution has granted you an accommodation in your program, and you believe that you may also require an accommodation during the examination, please see here for important information related to requesting accommodations.
The Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam
The CPNRE is the entry-to-practice examination for practical nurses in Manitoba and most of Canada. It is administered by Yardstick Assessment Strategies Inc. (YAS). All Manitoba exam candidates must hold a current graduate practical nurse registration with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM) prior to taking the exam. The CLPNM requires that all exam candidates apply for the exam and for graduate registration, and pay the appropriate fees, prior to the exam and graduate application deadline.
The CPNRE is now delivered by computer-based testing. Along with YAS and other provincial regulators, the CLPNM has worked to ensure a smooth transition from paper-and-pencil testing to computer-based testing. The national pass rate for first-time Canadian writers in the initial computer-based testing window was 91.5%. The national pass rate for first-time Canadian test writers who wrote by paper and pencil in 2015 was comparable at 91.7%. Delivery of the CPNRE by computer has enabled the test to be offered at more sites across Canada, and at more flexible times.
Upcoming CPNRE Testing Windows 2020-2021
- June 8, 2020 – July 5, 2020
- September 7, 2020 – September 27, 2020
- November 9, 2020 – November 29, 2020
- January 25, 2021 – February 14, 2021
- June 7, 2021 – June 27, 2021
- September 6, 2021 – September 26, 2021
- November 8, 2021 – November 28, 2021
Manitoba candidates who are eligible to write the CPNRE will be notified of the test application deadline directly by the CLPNM. If you have questions, please contact the CLPNM at firstname.lastname@example.org, 204-663-1212 or 1-877-663-1212 toll free. For more information about the computer-based CPNRE, please see here.
Development of a New Entry-to-Practice Examination
The Canadian Council for Practical Nurse Regulators (CCPNR) is pleased to announce that Yardstick Assessment Strategies Inc. (YAS) has been selected as the vendor to develop, implement and deliver a new generation of the entry-to-practice high stakes examination for licensed practical nurses (LPNs) in eight jurisdictions in Canada. The target date for launching the new examination is 2022.