Applying for an Endorsement
If you hold current active practising registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in another Canadian jurisdiction, or as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) in Ontario, and wish to practise as an LPN in Manitoba, you must first obtain registration in Manitoba. You may obtain Manitoba registration by applying to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM) for an endorsement. Information on the endorsement process is below.
Please contact the CLPNM prior to submitting your endorsement application in the following circumstances:
- You are moving to Manitoba from another Canadian jurisdiction due to a Federal Government (National Defence, Armed Forces, and RCMP) transfer, please contact the CLPNM prior to starting the application process. Applicants who can provide evidence that their application relates directly to a Federal Government transfer may be eligible for an application fee reduction.
- You are seeking registration in Manitoba specifically for the purposes of assisting in the COVID-19 Pandemic. You may qualify for an expedited process.
- You are moving to Manitoba from another Canadian jurisdiction, and were previously registered as a practical nurse in Canada but no longer hold active registration. In this circumstance, you do not qualify to apply for an endorsement but you may still be eligible to apply through another pathway.
Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you were educated as a nurse in another country, please review information on how to apply for a credential assessment, available here.
The Endorsement Process
If you are registered as a practical nurse in another Canadian jurisdiction, you may not start working as an LPN in Manitoba until you have been granted an endorsement by the CLPNM. All steps in the endorsement application process must be complete in order for your endorsement to be granted. These are:
- opening and paying for your endorsement application
- completing your endorsement application
- providing evidence of continuing competence as a practical nurse in Canada by demonstrating one of the following:
- recent Canadian practical nursing practice (1,000 practice hours in the past 4 years)
- successful completion of a practical nurse education program recognized by the CLPNM or another Canadian practical nursing regulatory body within the past 4 years, or
- successful completion of a CLPNM approved clinical competency assessment (CCA), and any additional education and/or supervised practice required by the CLPNM.
- having your completed endorsement application reviewed
- viewing a recorded education session and completing a test on the jurisprudence for LPNs in Manitoba
- applying and paying for your registration as an active practising LPN, and
- having your registration approved.
Guide to Endorsements
Endorsement applicants must use the forms provided by the CLPNM. Forms received that do not match those currently available on this site will not be accepted. Please be sure to read each document carefully and note that some documents must be submitted by you and others by third parties. If you require further information, please contact the College by email or by phone at 1-877-663-1212 toll free.
- Part 1 – Application Form: please fill out this form and submit it along with your fee, government ID, and English or French language test scores from a Board-approved language proficiency test (if applicable) in order to open your endorsement file. These documents must be mailed as one complete package. This form was last updated January 21, 2021.
- Part 2 – Disclosure Form: along with the disclosure form, you are required to submit three suitability checks. These are: a Canada-wide criminal record check that includes a vulnerable sector search, a Manitoba child abuse registry check, and a Manitoba adult abuse registry check. Please be aware that, in order to be accepted by the CLPNM, these documents must have been issued within six (6) months of the date they are provided to the CLPNM. Other requirements related to these documents are set out in the CLPNM’s Fact Sheet on Suitability Checks. Please review the fact sheet thoroughly. This form was last updated September 5, 2019.
- Part 3 – Verification of Registration Form: you must provide this form to your current or most recent licensing authority, and to any other authority with whom you have been licensed in the past seven (7) years. Each of these licensing authorities must fill out the form and mail it directly to the CLPNM. This form was last updated December 16, 2019.
- Part 4 – Nursing Employment Information Form: you must provide this form to your current or most recent nursing employer, and to any other nursing employer for whom you have worked in the last four (4) years. Each of these employers must fill out the form and mail it directly to the CLPNM. This form was last updated January 5, 2021.
- Part 5 – Verification of Education Form: you must provide this form to your nursing school. Your nursing school must fill out the form and mail it directly to the CLPNM along with your transcript (including grades), your theory and clinical hours. This form was last updated December 16, 2020.
If you have any questions regarding these documents, or require further information, please contact the CLPNM by email or by phone at 204-663-1212 or 1-877-663-1212 toll free.