Applying for a Credential Assessment
The CLPNM’s credential assessment and recognition process is designed to help internationally educated nurses (IENs) feel confident and prepared for the Manitoba workplace. IENs who begin and complete the credential assessment process in Manitoba develop the knowledge, skill and judgment needed to work as licensed practical nurses (LPNs) in a wide range of practice environments, both autonomously and as part of a team.
Did you know?
- The fee to open a credential assessment IEN application with the CLPNM has been reduced from $441 Canadian dollars to $315 Canadian dollars (GST included)
- Proof of language proficiency is no longer required to open a credential assessment application with the CLPNM. Language proficiency must be demonstrated prior to enrolling in approved bridging education or applying for registration as a Graduate Practical Nurse, whichever comes first.
- Language proficiency cutscores were updated in November, 2022. Revised cutscores are now in effect. See here for more information.
- Language test results do not expire once you have opened an application file, and as long as your file remains active.
- The CLPNM offers eligible IENs the opportunity to quickly enter into paid practice. The SIEN Gap Training program provides eligible IENs with the opportunity to practice, in a paid position, with an eligible Manitoba employer. The IEN in the SIEN Gap Training program works in an environment where they can access support from other nurses and get time away from work to participate in any required education. Those IENs in the SIEN Gap Training program may use their paid practice hours instead of undertaking a separate clinical practicum through an educational institution. For more information about the SIEN Gap Training program see our FAQ page here
- There is currently no wait time to register for and complete a clinical competence assessment.
- IENs who are unsuccessful in their first clinical competence assessment will have the opportunity to repeat it, at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- There is currently no wait time to enroll in Manitoba’s bridging education program, which is offered two times per year.
- Nearly all of the IENs who complete Manitoba’s bridging education program pass the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination on their first attempt.
- As an IEN, you may be eligible to apply for financial support to help you complete the qualification recognition process. (See below).
- Red River College offers free courses in healthcare culture, language and communication for internationally educated nurses who are permanent residents. See here for more information.
Through the credential assessment process, the CLPNM will assess your education, experience and competence as a nurse to determine whether it is comparable to that of an entry-level licensed practical nurse in Manitoba.
The information below provides a brief overview of the credential assessment application requirements.
Detailed instructions are provided in the Credential Assessment Application Guide for IENs.
To open an application with the CLPNM, you will need to create an online profile by clicking here. Once you have a profile with the CLPNM, you can open a credential assessment file by selecting “apply to practicing”. Please ensure that you review the questions on the application carefully. If you require further information, please contact the CLPNM by email or by phone at 1-877-663-1212.
Internationally educated nurses applying to the CLPNM must also open a file with the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) using their Expedited Service. You will provide information to the NNAS using its centralized online application portal. The NNAS will provide a report to the CLPNM. For information on the NNAS application process, please see the NNAS website.
If the NNAS has already issued an RN Advisory Report on your behalf to the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (CRNM), the CLPNM may be able to accept your RN Advisory Report from the CRNM in place of a new LPN Advisory Report from the NNAS. Please contact the CLPNM by email for more information.
You can open your CLPNM credential assessment file at any time. You do not have to wait for an NNAS report to be sent to the CLPNM.
SIEN Gap Training Program
The CLPNM offers eligible IENs the opportunity to quickly enter into paid practice. For more information about the SIEN Gap Training program see our FAQ page here.
For more information about the credential assessment process, please review the video below. This video is a recording of a presentation provided on June 28, 2023 by the CLPNM, CRNM, and CRPNM explaining their respective IEN credential assessment processes.
Internationally Educated Nurses in Manitoba Project
The Government of Manitoba has launched an initiative to provide IENs already in Manitoba with financial assistance for assessment and training costs to support their goal of working as a nurse in Manitoba. See the news release for more information and to access the application form.
Please note that all questions regarding this program, which is entirely administered by the provincial government, should be directed to the Healthcare Recruitment inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.