Canadian Practical Nurses Registration Examination
The Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) is the entry-to-practice examination for practical nurses in Manitoba and most of Canada.
The CPNRE is delivered using secure online proctoring, through Meazure’s partner, ProctorU. You are encouraged to review the ProctorU Instruction Guide, and the video below for helpful information on how to prepare for a proctored exam.
All Manitoba exam candidates must hold a current graduate practical nurse registration with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM) prior to taking the exam.
The CLPNM requires that all exam candidates apply for the exam and for graduate registration, and pay the appropriate fees, prior to the exam and graduate application deadline.
New as of December 1, 2023, the requirements for GPN registration include holding professional liability protection through the Canadian Nurses Protective Society (CNPS) with a minimum limit of protection of five (5) Million dollars, renewed annually. All GPNs will be required to register for CNPS Professional Liability Protection and Core Services as part of their GPN registration application process.
If you believe you may require an accommodation in order to write the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE), please read below for details on how to apply to the CLPNM.
- You must make your request in writing to the CLPNM at least eight (8) months prior to the date you expect to write the exam. This allows enough time for you to obtain and supply the necessary documentation, and for the CLPNM to assess your circumstances.
- You will be asked to demonstrate that you have been granted an accommodation by your post-secondary institution. Note that this accommodation must have been granted at the program or institutional level (e.g. through Student Services), not by one or more individual instructors.
- You will be asked to provide documentation from a regulated health care professional, with expertise relevant to your condition, supporting your need for an accommodation. After you contact us to make your request, the CLPNM will advise you of the health professional(s) who will be required to provide documentation.
Note that exam accommodations will be granted at the CLPNM’s discretion, after reviewing the information described above and the full circumstances surrounding your request.
It is also important to note that, because the practical nursing profession has requisite skills and abilities as well as expectations regarding fitness to practice, a request for an exam accommodation may give rise to the need for a more comprehensive assessment as part of your future application for registration as a licensed practical nurse.
Please be sure to contact the CLPNM early to discuss the the process in detail.
The Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) is a high-stakes assessment that is an important part of the entry-to-practice licensure process. At the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM), the safety of the public is our top priority. As a result, all scores and results from the CPNRE will be independently assessed by an external and specialized examination security company using various well-researched data forensic techniques.
The purpose of this analysis is to identify candidates who have examination results that are unreliable or invalid. Examination results may be unreliable or invalid if they raise suspicion about examination irregularities or misconduct. These results will be flagged for additional investigation. If after additional investigation, the results are deemed to be invalid, the CLPNM may undertake a range of options, including allowing the candidate the opportunity to rewrite the CPNRE, or if misconduct is noted, referring the candidate to the CLPNM’s Investigation Committee, and possibly, its Discipline Committee
Upcoming CPNRE Testing Windows
- March 1, 2024 – March 31, 2024
- May 1, 2024 – May 31, 2024
- July 1, 2024 – July 31, 2024
- September 1, 2024 -September 30, 2024
- November 1, 2024 – November 30, 2024
Manitoba candidates who are eligible to write the CPNRE will be notified of the test application deadline directly by the CLPNM.
If you have questions, please contact the CLPNM.