Education Program Evaluation & Approval
As the regulator for the practical nursing profession, the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba has a legislated duty to evaluate practical nursing education programs throughout the province. Programs are evaluated against the Standards of Education. The evaluation process includes reviewing the practical nursing program, the delivery of the program, and the program’s relationship to the overarching educational institution.
The CLPNM Education Approval Committee fully evaluates each program at least every five years and monitors all programs annually. The Education Approval Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Directors, who then make the final decision of program approval status.
Through program evaluation, the CLPNM ensures that:
- Educational institutions and programs are meeting the legislated regulatory standards for practical nursing education and practice
- Graduates of practical nursing education programs have acquired the most current CLPNM entry-level competencies for the profession in Manitoba
- Graduates of practical nursing education programs have acquired the educational foundation that will allow them to gain the most current competencies found within the full scope of practice for the profession in Manitoba
- Graduates of practical nursing education programs possess the judgment, behaviours, ethics, and attitudes expected of a member of the practical nursing profession in Manitoba.
- Appropriate and adequate resources are available to appropriately support student learning
- Educational institutions are continually and appropriately gathering relevant information and utilizing data and information to continuously develop and improve the program and its outcomes.
Categories of Program Approval
After evaluation, programs may receive one of the following approval statuses:
Initial Program Approval
This status may be granted to a new practical nursing education program that the CLPNM determines meets the Standards of Education. This status may also be assigned to an established practical nursing education program that the CLPNM deems has undergone substantial changes.
Full Program Approval
This status may be granted to an established practical nursing education program that the CLPNM determines meets the Standards of Education.
Approved with Conditions
This status may be granted to programs that continue to graduate students who have attained the entry-level competencies, but after review or evaluation, have demonstrated deficiencies in their ability to comply with the Standards of Education. Programs with this approval status are provided a CLPNM directed action plan and must be willing and able to remedy the deficiencies.
Program Approval Revoked
Program approval may be revoked by the CLPNM when an educational institution is consistently unable or unwilling to meet the Standards of Education.
Approved Diploma in Practical Nursing Programs
The following educational institutions have approval to deliver the Diploma Practical Nursing program:
- Assiniboine Community College – Approved with Conditions
- University College of the North – Full Program Approval
- Université de Saint-Boniface – Full Program Approval
Please contact the educational institutions directly for more detailed information about their programs.